Dec 302008
 

The other day I found out that XCode breakpoints were not working anymore under iPhone Simulator, still worked fine with the device. Reinstalled XCode: nothing better. Removed all XCode settings files in the user directory as well as the /Library/Preferences directory: nothing better. Looking at the output from gdb I found it was reporting a certain number of errors related to finding symbols for the iPhone framework libraries: the messages read like this:

Unable to read symbols for "/System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework/UIKit" (file not found).
warning: Unable to read symbols from "UIKit" (not yet mapped into memory).
warning: Unable to read symbols for "/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/CoreGraphics" (file not found).
warning: Unable to read symbols from "CoreGraphics" (not yet mapped into memory).
warning: Unable to read symbols for "/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGLES.framework/OpenGLES" (file not found).
warning: Unable to read symbols from "OpenGLES" (not yet mapped into memory).
Program loaded.
Pending breakpoint 1 - ""aPointSystem.m:395" resolved
sharedlibrary apply-load-rules all


After a few google searches I realized a lot of people are reporting the same messages, but there was never a real solution on how to get rid of this and the rare solutions suggested to remove some rogue breakpoints and everything would be solved… So not so surprisingly I focused on solving this problem first because i thought it was very likely to be the reason for my breakpoints not working. Well yeah indeed if I remove all breakpoints all ‘file not found’ messages go away, but all debugging also goes away, as soon as the breakpoints are back, so are the messages !!

So after a couple days of scrambling I still had in the back of my mind the idea that the only thing I had done lately to the system was to upgrade the mac os X kernel to the newest voodoo kernel. Some rare intermittent crashes (see screenshots) occuring while debugging, together with the problem occuring only on the iphone smulator (hence host code and possible kernel hooks failures) and reinstallation/settings erasure independent it seemed to be a consistent explanation to my woes….

occasional Voodoo kernel panic

Sure enough, after I returned to the old kernel the breakpoints started working again, it turns out the ‘file not found’ messages are completely normal the reason being the iphone framework code is private to apple and therefore debug symbols are inexistent. You got to admit the ‘file not found’ messages are somewhat misleading.

[ad#postsad]