So over thanksgiving I’ve taken some time to work a little more on my secret iPhone project (or I should just say “my secret project” abstracting the iPhone altogether since until recently almost no iPhone API’s were called), and I’m pretty glad I’ve made a little progress from the point where I was stuck for a while now. I’ve started implementing things in OpenGL ES in the hopes to see things go very fast and some impressive rendering speeds however I was pretty disappointed by the outcome, I’m guessing the bottleneck is the arithmetic I’m doing so I’ve started considering using the vfp for the iPhone.
Lately as a result I’ve been looking into using the hardware a little more and that probably means that I will have to rewrite some parts of the engine 🙁 to make hardware acceleration more doable.
I thought I’d share my little bit of research on google which gave me the following pointer to a very good place to start in order to exploit the iPhone vfp:
update: I’ve been researching a bit more and it seems the iPhone vfp is more specifically a vfp11 co-processor for the iPhone’s processor (ARM1176JZF), for which I pulled the doc on the arm website: