Jul 132011
 

Just a picture of my fingers’ skin after a rough bouldering session at the circuit tonight. Pretty crazy what I put it through… In a couple days it’ll look like nothing happened…

20110712-112512.jpg

Jul 102011
 

This week end I updated the blog software to wordpress 3.2, it’s going to be a lot easier to blog since I’ll be able to do it directly from my phone, and can probably link the posts to my Facebook wall and google+, and maybe even twitter; this will the end of my long lasting social networking abstinence. Can’t wait to see that happen!

Mar 182009
 

Last Saturday I got my head shaved with Bottlewine and a few other co-workers from my past job at Children’s Hospital for a fund raiser to help research on infantile cancer, here are some pictures, I raised close to 700$. The fundraiser is still going on, here is a link to my st baldrick’s page if you would like to give some money:

http://www.stbaldricks.org/home/referral.php?Ref=L3BhcnRpY2lwYW50cy9zaGF2ZWVfaW5mby5waHA/UGFydGljaXBhbnRLZXk9MjAwOS0zMzQ1NTU=

st baldrick 004.JPGst baldrick 023.JPGst baldrick 080.JPGst baldrick 103.JPG

Dec 302008
 

The other day I found out that XCode breakpoints were not working anymore under iPhone Simulator, still worked fine with the device. Reinstalled XCode: nothing better. Removed all XCode settings files in the user directory as well as the /Library/Preferences directory: nothing better. Looking at the output from gdb I found it was reporting a certain number of errors related to finding symbols for the iPhone framework libraries: the messages read like this:

Unable to read symbols for "/System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework/UIKit" (file not found).
warning: Unable to read symbols from "UIKit" (not yet mapped into memory).
warning: Unable to read symbols for "/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/CoreGraphics" (file not found).
warning: Unable to read symbols from "CoreGraphics" (not yet mapped into memory).
warning: Unable to read symbols for "/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGLES.framework/OpenGLES" (file not found).
warning: Unable to read symbols from "OpenGLES" (not yet mapped into memory).
Program loaded.
Pending breakpoint 1 - ""aPointSystem.m:395" resolved
sharedlibrary apply-load-rules all


After a few google searches I realized a lot of people are reporting the same messages, but there was never a real solution on how to get rid of this and the rare solutions suggested to remove some rogue breakpoints and everything would be solved… So not so surprisingly I focused on solving this problem first because i thought it was very likely to be the reason for my breakpoints not working. Well yeah indeed if I remove all breakpoints all ‘file not found’ messages go away, but all debugging also goes away, as soon as the breakpoints are back, so are the messages !!

So after a couple days of scrambling I still had in the back of my mind the idea that the only thing I had done lately to the system was to upgrade the mac os X kernel to the newest voodoo kernel. Some rare intermittent crashes (see screenshots) occuring while debugging, together with the problem occuring only on the iphone smulator (hence host code and possible kernel hooks failures) and reinstallation/settings erasure independent it seemed to be a consistent explanation to my woes….

occasional Voodoo kernel panic

Sure enough, after I returned to the old kernel the breakpoints started working again, it turns out the ‘file not found’ messages are completely normal the reason being the iphone framework code is private to apple and therefore debug symbols are inexistent. You got to admit the ‘file not found’ messages are somewhat misleading.

[ad#postsad]

Dec 132008
 

So over thanksgiving I’ve taken some time to work a little more on my secret iPhone project (or I should just say “my secret project” abstracting the iPhone altogether since until recently almost no iPhone API’s were called), and I’m pretty glad I’ve made a little progress from the point where I was stuck for a while now. I’ve started implementing things in OpenGL ES in the hopes to see things go very fast and some impressive rendering speeds however I was pretty disappointed by the outcome, I’m guessing the bottleneck is the arithmetic I’m doing so I’ve started considering using the vfp for the iPhone.

Lately as a result I’ve been looking into using the hardware a little more and that probably means that I will have to rewrite some parts of the engine :( to make hardware acceleration more doable. 

I thought I’d share my little bit of research on google which gave me the following pointer to a very good place to start in order to exploit the iPhone vfp:  

update: I’ve been researching a bit more and it seems the iPhone vfp is more specifically a vfp11 co-processor for the iPhone’s processor (ARM1176JZF), for which I pulled the doc on the arm website:

arm 1176jzf-s pdf doc

[ad#postsad]

Dec 132008
 

Finally I’m back at it… since I took on this new job at Illumina in june I haven’t had much time to spend here, but hopefully this isn’t going to be true for very much longer. Today I have been working on putting together and uploading all the pictures that I have done since the last ones I posted, they total up to about 10Gb so it’s going to take some time to get them all on the website. 

[ad#postsad]

Jul 222008
 

My boss walked up to me about naming the project I’m working on, then I was wondering “why the heck do we need to have codenames for projects” anyways, the answer to this question aside, I decided I’d google a bit about this and see what I fell on:

http://codeclimber.net.nz/

I never thought I’d be able to tag together any post with the main topics of my blog: C# coding and Rock Climbing, well I was wrong… watch me.

[ad#postsad]

 Posted by at 2:17 pm